Saturday, April 29, 2006

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Well, today has been one of those rollercoaster days. We were so excited to be able to feed him. He got his first serving at 11 a.m.--1/2 ounce of pedialyte every 3 hours. That little piggy gobbled it down in under a minute! It only made him hungry for more, so he was a big fussy. He got his second helping at 2 p.m., and again, GULP! and it was gone!! Mommy and Daddy went home after that to rest. Dad had to go to work, and Mom had a horrible headache.
When I (Sarah) got back at 8 tonight here is what I learned:
Carter had to go NPO (no food) again because of an increase in fluid draining from his abdomen. --They aren't certain of the cause, but since the only thing that had changed is that he got the pedialyte, they stopped it and are waiting until Sunday to hear from Dr. Schropp.
--The day nurse, Nancy, was afraid that his IV would go bad, so she tried to find a new spot. At least 4 attempts in my baby's head, and who knows where else failed. His original IV is still good, so that seems like a lot of pokes to a baby for no reason to me. I know she was just trying to be helpful, but OUCH!
Anyhow, I got to hold him and rock him for over 2 hours tonight, and he was just so happy. This little boy is so strong and sweet. I'm learning a lot about God's grace. There's a song by Caedmon's Call that says "my faith is like shifting sand, changed by every wave; my faith is like shifting sand so I stand on grace." I was singing this song to Carter tonight, and it struck me how easy it is to give God praise and commend myself for my relationship with Him when everything is going well. Then watch my faith falter when the waves come in. The last part of the song says "Waters rose as my doubts rained. Sandcastle faith has slipped away. Found myself standing on Your grace. It'd been there all the time." Sometimes when everything else fades away, or crumbles, we look down and find ourselves standing on the platform of God's grace. He is our stability, our rock, and our steadfastness. Let our little boy's amazing story remind you that the crashing waves and pelting rain of the world is NO MATCH for God's great love--He's the calm in the storm!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home