Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Saturday Morning Post

Last night was such a blessing--as Grammie told! We played on the playground and I (Sarah) even went down the slide! A much needed break with my amazing family.
We spoke with Dr. Schropp today, and we are going to try to get Carter moved to the pediatric floor or the P-ICU next week. We are happy about this because he will have his own room and we can stay in with him, but we sure will miss the nurses and doctors in the NICU. Today, for example, Carter's nurse is Leesa, a very sweet woman with a sweet southern accent. I am able to be at home for awhile because I know he is getting loved on and cared for. Dr. Clark, who was the attending in April came by to chat and check in on Carter. One thing we really appreciate is that everyone takes time to visit--they really care. Dr. Oluola came back to the hospital at midnight to check on Carter the other night...he actually left his home just to come make sure he was okay--that's dedication!
Again, we are experiencing some setbacks. Carter's drain is off suction for 8 hours at a time, then on for 4. This is to help the body start to reabsorb some of the fluid. Hopefully this will work, and he doesn't seem to be in as much discomfort during the no-suction time as we thought he'd be, so this is good. But while his bilirubin had reached an all-time low yesterday (direct was 3.4, which is equal to when he was 1 week old), it seems to have climbed up again to 4.8 (it is supposed to be below 1). Also, many of his liver function numbers are up. They have been relatively high, but today a few of them are really really high. One, for example, is supposed to be 20-100, and it was over 700. So, they are unsure what this means.
They didn't get an IV yesterday, his veins are very weak. But, they found a way to give him blood through his central IV line, so that was good.
Carter is still getting lots of meds and supplements, and this will continue for awhile. The doctors say his liver is still very sick, and as Gary said in his blog, "only time will tell". I am holding onto this Word:
Psalm 40
1 I waited patiently for the LORD;

he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,

out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,

a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.
4 Blessed is the man

who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
5 Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.
Today Carter's Aunt Emily graduates from MWSU--Congrats, Emily!!! We will have visitors later today--Gary's Aunt Jeanne and family are coming!
Happy Mother's Day to all moms out there--I'm spending my first in the hospital...not exactly as I've always imagined, but I can't complain. There is so much to be thankful for--I have my family, and that's all I need.

3 Comments:

At 3:42:00 PM, Blogger Monica said...

Happy Mother's Day tomorrow! I know how unfair it feels to spend your first Mother's Day with your baby in the hospital. But when Ella was still in the hospital on my first Mother's Day, the doctors and nurses were so great about it and made it a special day for all of us moms in the NICU. I'm sure they will for you too. Just be sure to steal some extra cuddle time with Carter!

 
At 7:44:00 PM, Blogger Carter Heckman said...

I love you mom! I couldn't ask for anyone more caring or loving. You don't think I am able to appreciate you but I do. Every time you see me look in your eyes, know that I am saying "thank you for taking such good care of me mom". I love you.

-Carter
P.S.
Dad says he loves you too. Yuck!!

 
At 8:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO A TRULY AWSOME MOTHER.
I SHARE YOUR BLOGS WTIH MY KIDS AT SCHOOL. THEY ARE ALL VERY INTERESTED AND ASK ABOUT CARTER WHEN I FORGET TO KEEP THEM UPDATED.
ENJOY YOUR DAY WITH CARTER AND YOUR WONDERFUL FAMILY.

WILMA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home