Monday, May 08, 2006

Gary and I took two cars to the hospital this morning because he had to go to work tonight. While we were on the road, he called me to tell me to turn to KLOVE. When I did, this is the song I heard: (I'll warn you, you'll cry)
I'm down on my knees again tonight
I'm hoping this prayer will turn out right
See there is a boy that needs Your help
I've done all that I can do myself
His mother is tired
I'm sure You can understnad
Each night as he sleeps
She goes in to hold his hand
And she tries not to cry
As the tears fill her eyes
CHORUS:
Can You hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can You see him?
Can You make him feel all right?
If You can hear me
Let me take his place somehow
See, he's not just anyone
He's my son
Sometimes late at night I watch him sleep
I dream of the boy he'd like to be
I try to be strong and see him through
But God who he needs right now is You
Let him grow old
Live life without this fear
What would I be
Living without him here
He's so tired and he's scared
Let him know that You're there
(Chorus)
Can You hear me?
Can You see him?
Please don't leave him
He's my son
It's by Mark Schultz, and we had just talked about the song the night before. It speaks the words our hearts can only cry out to God. This is a pain unimaginable.
We walked into the NICU this morning to see our little boy. His nurse, Faye, was holding him, trying to get him to eat. He hadn't eaten all night and was quite weak. Dehydration had set in again, and his eyes were sunken into his gray face. She told me her job today was to make him well. So, throughout the day, he got an NG tube down his nose for feedings and more meds than I could count. Finally, at 6 p.m. Carter took 40 mL, so he only had to take 30 by tube. He'd gotten some strength back, and his color looked much better.
The doctors are trying everything. He has an infection, probably colongitis, so he is on antibiotic. His fluid output is still huge, but it was beginning to get clearer. His electrolytes are still out of whack, and his CO2 level is 16 (they say it should be 25-30). But all of the doctors and nurses are truly amazing. They care so much, as is evident by Kim's comment (thanks, Kim!).
I've said this to my closest family, and I say it now because I feel the need to scream it for the world to hear:
Why my baby? People say he will be a testimony, but why him? I want him to be well, to be a normal, 2 month old baby. I want him to be home.
When we got the tour of the hospital baby area, the woman took us by the door to the NICU. It's a rather inconspicuous door, and I never would have guessed that so much went on inside. I remember thinking that it was nice to have a NICU there, for those babies. I remember thinking how hard it must be for those moms. Good thing we'd never need it.
These things happen to other people. People you hear about from some distant connection. How sad, you think. And then you go on about your life. You dream about your child and you worry about his first day of school. You are sure it will break your heart when he falls off his bike, loses his first tooth, goes to the prom.
And then you hear the news. You hold his hand and wonder what blow will come next. God, we can't take any more blows. He's been through enough. Let him be OK. Let me take him home, rock him to sleep, play with his toys, go for walks. I need him to be alright.

11 Comments:

At 8:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Sarah, and Carter,
We just wanted you all to know that we think about you everyday! Your little boy is so beautiful, we can't wait to meet him. Your family will continue to be in our prayers! Love, Mark and Jill

 
At 8:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, Gary and Carter,

We are in Faith's Sunday School class. She has been keeping us posted on our email links as well as giving us the link to this website. You are in our prayers daily and we only wish there was something tangible we could do to make this difficult time more bearable. Short of that, you are ALL in our thoughts and prayers every single day...
God bless,

Jill in Liberty

P.S. Carter, you are a doll baby!!

 
At 10:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

 
At 6:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Hugs to you Sarah, Gary and Carter!

Thank you so much for sharing that song with all of us!! I wanted you to know that my family and I will continue to lift you up in prayer for all that you need for each day!! Big Hugs to all of you!!!

Lisa, Lanka and Jonathon in St. Joe

 
At 9:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Precious Little Carter,

You are two months old today! Although you have had a rough start, I have to believe and have faith that God has a great work for your life. What an inspiration your parents have been for all of us. They have such a strong faith!
Keep fighting little one, we are all praying for you. I love you so much!! Can't wait until we can run and play together. :)

Love you always!

Aunt Netta

 
At 9:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, Gary, and Carter,

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Paul's words to the Philippians are so true, and they are true for you. We all share your question, "Why Carter?" But we also know that the Lord is with you. Know that we are praying for you each and every day.
Love, Scott and your Wyatt Park Christian Church Family

 
At 9:30:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Sarah and Carter,

We are with you in prayer every moment. Prayer warriors are bombarding the gates of heaven in St. Joseph. We love all of you and know that God is faithful and hears us.

Hugs, Jeanette and all the Mausolfs

 
At 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i check on carter every day. you were my son's youth leaders at chiro. you were a tremendous witness at that time. will was so impressed with you. my heart breaks when i read the postings. every parent wants their child to be safe and peaceful and healthy and unharmed. every parent feels responsible for making sure this is so. you would not be human if you didn't wonder why?? i can only imagine what a two-edged sword this is for your parents, they love you all and want to protect you the same way you want to protect carter.....your baby is always your baby, no matter how old they are. carter is a beautiful baby. your witness and testimony reach farther than you can know. you and he are in the prayers of people you will never meet. you have touched dozens, if not hundreds through your postings. of course you don't want carter to be a testimony. i hope there is small comfort in knowing that all of you are a testimony of faith and grace, even when you don't feel like it.....god will give you the courage and strength to face the obstacles as they occur. romans 8:28 jane

 
At 12:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Sarah and Carter,

We are also in Faith's Sunday school class. She has been so great keeping us all updated and raising a prayer army! Sweet little Carter has been etched on all our hearts. I sent out a prayer request to my friends and family only to find that some already had you guys on their list! As Carter's story spreads, more and more of us are adding our strength to the precious embrace of God's arms enfolding you all.

As a parent, my heart reaches out to you. I thank God that as Carter keeps on fighting, he has two wonderful parents who do all they can for him. It was no mistake that Carter came to you!

We are praying like crazy up here in Liberty!!!

In Christ,
Jennifer Jones

 
At 1:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Sarah, and Carter,
I am Monica's aunt Igleedtis from Colorado. Monica e-mailed me this morning and told me about what was going on. I wanted to let you know that our church here has two Bible study groups and I have shared your story. I wanted to let you know that we are all praying for your family. My prayer is for God's touch on Carter's body. I also am praying for God's strength, comfort, and peace for you parents. I so enjoyed your website, especially the pictures. I shared them with the people at Bible study also. He is such a beautiful little boy.
May you feel the arms of God wrapped around you.
God's Love and Mine
Igleedtis Moore

 
At 9:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Jenn, and I am a nurse in the NICU who has had the honor to care for Carter. What a joy he is! I am so glad you shared this page with me--it has touched my heart and moved me to tears. I pray that God guides me and all of us in the NICU to give Carter the best care possible. Sarah and Gary, your strength amazes me. God could not have placed Carter in better hands. I will continue to pray for you.
--Jenn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home