Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Sweet End to A Difficult Day

So today, after much convincing and nudging from the nurses and my husband, I left my little boy and went home for some much needed rest. I took a long nap, did a little housework, and even went to Target. I called to check on Carter, and the nurse informed me that although he'd been in good spirits, he was not eating and was lathargic. When Gary got home from work, we went back to the hospital. Sure enough, our sweet little boy was gray in color, and his fontanel was sunken in. His energy was low, and he was sleepy. His bloodwork came back up a bit from yesterday, but everything else pointed toward dehydration.
That was at 5 p.m., and we just loved on him and played. By 6, he was wide awake, smiling occasionally, and ready to eat! I guess he just needed some time with Mommy and Daddy. He had a good evening, eating both his 6 and 9 bottles completely! When we left at 10 p.m., he was resting peacefully in his crib.
Carter is still getting albumin, sodium bi-carb, a steroid, gas medicine, and several antibiotics. Add to that list a new saline with sucrose in it due to his low blood sugar, and we are keeping his nurses quite busy! He is still putting out a very large amount from his abdominal drain, with no end in sight.
Gary gave Carter his bottle tonight. It is the sweetest image in all the world to see the man you love holding and caring for your child. He is an amazing daddy, and I am so truly blessed. I know that Carter is going to grow up to be a kind, caring man just like his dad.
Tomorrow Gary and I meet with all the doctors and the family coordinator to make a plan. We are going to ask about seeking another opinion, as the doctors don't seem to know what to do. We have had the very best care at KUMed, and we are sad to think of going someplace else, but perhaps he needs more specialized care. Pray that we and the doctors will make the right decision about what to do.
We have so many questions, so much frustration. Right now we are in the middle of the greatest storm of our lives. It's hard to see the break in the clouds, and even harder to imagine a rainbow. But we have hope in God's grace. I just keep going back to the belief that I have the arms of God around my family. Here is a song by Casting Crowns called Praise You In This Storm (sometimes the words of others say it far better than I):
I was sure by now
God you would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
that it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear your whisper through the rain,
I'm with you
and as your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.
Chorus:
And i'll praise you in this storm
and i will lift my hands
that you are who you are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
you hold in your hand
you never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise you in this storm
I remember when I stumbled in the wind
you heard my cry you raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find youand as the thunder rolls
I barely hear you whisper through the rain
I'm with youand as your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away
Chorus
I lift my eyes unto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes unto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the maker of heaven and earth

7 Comments:

At 5:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that you don't want a testimony, you want a healthy baby, but you all ARE a testimony to the power of faith and a deep relationship with God. You are being prayed for by so many people who love the three of you and who trust that God is hearing our prayers. And, knowing Gary, it doesn't surprise us in the least that he is a wonderfully caring daddy. Carter has the parental love that every child needs and it's love that is grounded in the love of God. May God bless the three of you this day.
Scott and your WPCC Family

 
At 7:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FIRST TIME THAT I HAVE BEEN INSPIRED TO LEAVE A COMMENT AND THEN I READ SCOTT'S. THAT WAS JUST WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY. THE TWO OF YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION TO ALL OF US. TO SEE YOU WORK THROUGH ALL THESE PROBLEMS AS YOU HOLD TIGHTLY TO EACH OTHER AND YOUR FAITH IN GOD IS AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL. CARTER IS SUCH A LUCKY BOY TO HAVE SUCH WONDERFUL PARENTS. GOD BLESS.

 
At 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Monica said...

I just wanted to let you know that I'm still here. I check Carter's page several times a day, wondering how you all are. I've passed on his story and website to pretty much everyone I know. We're praying for you at PVBC, my aunt and uncle are pastors of Ablazing River of Life church in Iowa, and another aunt is pastor of a church in Colorado...they are all praying and many more. I just wanted to tell you that because I know (from my own experience with a baby in the NICU)that it's a comfort to hear how far Carter's story is traveling and realize how much prayer is going up for Carter--all across the country!

 
At 12:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

every parent wants a healthy baby. in our modern world, we have come to expect it. it is a shock when things don't go as expected, for one reason or another. i learned more about god's grace and unconditional love through being a parent than would have otherwise been possible. i've experienced unbearable pain, overwhelming joy, happiness, compassion, acceptance and love through my children. just as you have with carter. i pray god gives you wisdom, peace, and a sense of direction in making decisions for carter and his medical care. for all that is known, much is unknown.
he hideth my soul.
verse 2
a wonderful savior is jesus my lord, he taketh my burden away; he holdeth me up, and i shall not be moved, he giveth me strength as my day. he hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock that shoadows a dry, thirsty land; he hideth my life in the depths of his love, and covers me there whith his hand, and covers me there with his hand.
he covers you, just as you cover carter with you hand. in protection and love. jane

 
At 2:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, Gary, and Carter...hello there today .. sorry to hear some of the set backs... it isn't a bad thing to try to find more specialized help.. the docs and nurses understand.... you are doing what you need to helping carter get better.... hang in there.. god bless you and keep you safe...much love moriah

 
At 2:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think about the 3 of you every day---many, many times. All I can do is send my love and prayers. I love the pictures.

 
At 11:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Sarah and baby Carter,
I work at Target with Gary and I just wanted to let you know that along with all of the others who post thier comments, I too read Carter's page every day or if I can't get on it myself, I have it read to me over the phone... It's part of my daily routine. You (Gary and Sarah) are amazing people and I don't think that if I were in your position, I would have near the amount of strength you do for not only yourselves, but others too. It was great to see Gary at work today. Thanks for letting me in the door! ;) Carter is a beautiful baby boy and is very lucky to have such caring parents. You've already proven that. I wish nothing but the best in the days to come and please remember that everyone is thinking and praying for you...always.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home