Thursday, May 04, 2006

Scattered doesn't even begin to describe my brain tonight. It must be the weather! :)

Today was one of those days that seems like we are getting nowhere. We had heard that TPN (Total Parenteral Nutrition)--the stuff Carter gets by IV can cause severe liver damage. I asked about it, and yes, that is true. The doctor said that although it can cause damage, there is no alternative and Carter needs it right now. He hopes to wane the amount by next week. That sounds to me like we are not taking our little boy home anytime soon.

Dr. Schropp stopped by today to see Carter, and he was "ecstatic about his progress!" He says his coloring is great, and his total bilirubin has gone down. It is now 5.8. This is down from 11.4 a week and a half ago! There are still some other numbers that are high, but as his liver begins to heal (which is possible but not guaranteed) they should come down as well. He also still has a great deal of fluid draining from his abdomen. Generally about 60-90 mL per 3 hours, or 2-3 ounces, which is more than he is eating. That means he has to have replacement fluids. Dr. Schropp says it is possible he could go home with the drain, but he would have to keep the central IV in so we could give him fluids 3 times a day. Ugh.

Plus, I'm becoming an overprotective mother. I'm trying not to, but I'm so picky about his care and how certain things are done. He hadn't been given a bath since he'd been there, for example, although I'd asked about it several times. Finally, tonight, I got to give him one. But the nurse kept hurrying me, so he didn't really get clean. I was frustrated.

There were many amazingly wonderful moments today, however, and I leave you with these: I sat on the floor while Carter sat in a little swing and we talked and sang most of the afternoon (in between cat naps, of course); our day nurse lives in between Lathrop and Lawson and her son goes to Lathrop, so we had much to talk about, which made the day go fast; Carter is more alert all the time--he has longer periods where he seems to feel good and want to interact; my friend's little girl gets to go home tomorrow, so there was much celebrating; and finally, we had several visitors today, which made my day and Carter's as well. Thank you to Denise for a surprise visit, to Linda D for lunch, and Grandpa and Grandma H for dinner!

Oh, one final thing: We are feeling a tug at our hearts to do something to help families in our situation. Perhaps a Ronald McDonald House sort of thing--giving families a place to stay or rest during hospital stays. It's probably far in the future, but we'd welcome any advice or thoughts.

3 Comments:

At 11:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Carter's parents,
I received your site through my mother at LaPlata Baptist Church prayer chain. I, too, know the challenge of having a sick child in the hospital. Our second son, Alex, was born with multiple heart defects and spent the first six weeks of his life at Cardinal Glennon hospital in St. Louis. This March we celebrated the first time no being in the hospital during a twelve month period. Know that we are praying for you and the many opportunities you will have to share God to those around you. We knew God gave Alex to us for a reason and He has not let us down. We have experience family coming to know the Lord, to extending God's love to other hurting parents, to Alex being a ring bearer in his nurse's wedding(which we set up with one of our friends). God is amazing and He will give you His peace that transcends all understanding(phil.4:9) during this time.
In His Love,
Amy Bates

 
At 12:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah...
Sometimes I just like to drop you a note to let you know I'm still here! I check Carter's page every single day to see his progress. I don't have anything important to say, just that I'm here & I'm thinking about you three & constantly sending up prayers.
Love you!
Ashley

 
At 8:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, Gary, and little man,

I am excited to hear all is starting to emprove more and more each day. Sarah like I told you before keep up with your instincts you are his mother even though the doctors and nurses are really awesome they are human and we sometimes need to keep on then about little things especially when it comes to our sweet babies. About the Ronald Mcdonald house I am really surprised there isn't one i would be more than willing to donate time to help you all in researching this issue and helping trying ot get this started. Liberty hospital just built something like that it is really a nice facility. I am keeping you all in my prayers and know you all three are loved very much.
Moriah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home