Thursday, May 18, 2006

10 Weeks Old!

Today Carter is 10 weeks old! We have now spent almost half of his life in the hospital--1 week at the beginning, 2 days for biopsy, and 3 weeks, 4 days this round--34 days in the hospital, 36 days out. Cruddy way to start a life, but just think of the story he'll have to tell when he's older! This is what I keep telling myself, anyways.
I think all the fluid in his belly must really be causing him discomfort and pain. He certainly doesn't sit and scream all day, but that just wouldn't be his style. He's more of a quiet guy. Most of today he was groggy and sort of out of it. He'd lie really still for awhile, eyes mostly closed. Then suddenly let out a cry and squirm a bit. It is the saddest cry you've ever heard--not a loud, angry cry, but more of a startled and sad cry. He ate well today, though, taking nearly all of each feed by mouth. He gets to a point where it just hurts him to take any more.
Carter's fever is better, and his heartrate has gone down a bit, although it is still high. He got his 2 month shots today, which he dealt with "like a champ"--he hardly cried!
I find myself wanting so badly to make it all better--so much so that my heart aches. Then, when I realize I cannot do anything, I sort of disconnect. I'm angry at myself for this response, because I want more than anything to comfort him. Yet, on these days when he feels so bad, I seem to focus less on him and more on his chart or my Su Doku book or magazine. Why is this? Why do I shy away from my motherly duties at the very moment when my little boy needs me the most? I hate seeing him hurting. I hate feeling helpless. I hate waiting. I hate the hospital. I hate hoping and wondering. I hate that so many others have perfectly healthy babies that they get to bring home and enjoy regular daily things with, and I'm stuck in a stark, stuffy room clinging to the hope of one smile a day or a good report from the lab. He just seems to be getting sicker. I know that it is due to the pain from the fluid, and once that gets better, he will, too. But what if it doesn't? What if he just gets worse? He is basically the same weight as when he was born (up to 8 lbs. 4 oz this morning, although that's mostly fluid). Other people's babies are growing and thriving, and mine is struggling. I long to see his big, beautiful brown eyes--bright and clear--taking in the sights and sounds of summer. I need to take him for a walk, wake up in the middle of the night to find him cooing in his bed, and take him to family dinners and church.
But for now I will settle with that which has become the norm. I will go to see him each day, sit and hold him in a borrowed rocker, and turn him over to the care of all those amazing women in the NICU each night.

2 Comments:

At 9:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there. I just checked on here not too long ago and there wasn't a new post and now there is and I am excited. Your baby boy IS going to have some story to tell all of his friends when he gets older... He is a very strong little guy and has so many people that love and are thinking of him each and every day. We were just talking the other day about how this site has grown. It started with just a few people who read and now, there are so many more and they are faithful to it each and every day. Thank you guys for making this site and letting those who care up to date on what is going on. Have a good day/night. With <3, Me...

 
At 12:02:00 AM, Blogger Monica said...

I just want to say to you the one thing that I wish someone would have said to me when Ella was in the hospital for so long. THIS IS A TEMPORARY SITUATION! I remember feeling like the situation was never going to end, like our life at the hospital was so permanent, like that was the life that we would always have. There seemed to be no end to it, and it felt as if I was going to spend every day for the rest of my life going to the hospital and sitting there all day just waiting for any response from her. And even though I logically knew it was temporary and eventually she would come home, no one reminded me of that and it was the one thing I needed to hear to put things in perspective for me. I can so relate to your feelings of being at the hospital, and wanting to have your baby at home and do the "normal" things with him. And how unfair it is to know other babies who are at home and doing fine. And the disconnecting...that's how you survive a situation like this. It's such an emotional roller-coaster that you can't be completely emotionally tuned in all the time or you'd go crazy. So don't feel guilty about it--you're doing what you have to do to get through it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home