Sunday, May 21, 2006

What can I say that will come close to expressing how we feel? We are tired, we are waiting, and we ache to see our baby's smiles. We hold on to the little moments like this morning when he was bright eyed and even had a few "coos" in him.
We had lots of visitors this weekend. I will post pictures soon. Thank you to all of you for just coming to love our little boy and us!
This weekend has brought many questions. I'm sure by now you can sense our frustration and our hurt. Saturday night Carter's fever shot up and his white blood count was 42 (normal 5-17). They discovered an infection in his blood that seemed very scary. His numbers were terrible and he was dehydrated. My heart broke as I stood at his crib and watched him. I cried and cried as I recalled the moment we found out we were expecting, the first time we heard his heartbeat, the first time we saw his face in the sonogram. As I watched my baby squirm and wriggle in discomfort, I thought of the first time I saw him as Gary brought him to my side, then the blur of events after--the nurses and doctors coming to the recovery room to tell us that something wasn't right, the week spent in the hospital and the days of wondering what all these "abnormalities" meant. And of course, the last month--the days after his procedure when things looked so positive up to today when we just don't know what the future holds.
I called my best friend Tiffiny. I talked, she listened. Then, a few minutes later, she called back. This time she talked, I listened. She read a note that I had written her in 1996. It spoke of our friendship during another difficult time in my life--the loss of my Pop-pop. She was there for me when I needed her most.
Then, at about 12:15 a.m., after a short break from the NICU, Gary and I returned to find our little boy being held by the arms that have held me up time and time again--my Dad's (Papa). Carter looked so peaceful in those arms, and later that night we talked for hours, the greatest source of encouragement I could have asked for. I realized that God does answer prayers. So I say "thank you, God" for sending me the love of a friend and a father.
Today, Carter's body is being put to the test. The doctors are trying another method to remove the fluid. They dropped the amount of fluid they are replacing and are also giving him diurretics (sp?) in hopes of purposely dehydrating him. They say it could make his body use the abdominal fluid to compensate. It seems as if it might be working. So far he is not dehydrated, all though he should be, and his drain is putting out less than before. We are hopeful.
It is difficult to see this as a step forward because he still looks so sick. He has blood in his stool now because of esophageal varises (a result of his liver and the portal hypertension). It is hard for him to eat because it must feel like an ulcer. He's on something like 20 meds and replacements.
He will get better. He has to. Carter has to grow up and tell of God's goodness and healing. That's the way this story ends. Right?

14 Comments:

At 8:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there. I am so sorry about everything that you all are going through right now, but I just wanted to let you know that I am still here, reading every day and thinking and praying for you... I hope tomorrow only brings a brighter day and I hope to see you all again soon... With all my <3, Trisha

 
At 10:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always known of Carter from the first time I met him in the full term nursery folowing his delivery. I was unfortunate to have been the bearer of bad news when I was the one to have to start his IV. Since then I have peeked in on him from time to time, while caring for other babies in the NICU. Well, last Wednesday I was given the wonderful opportunity to care for Carter as his nurse and then again on Sunday. What a moving experience this has been. I am so inspired by the love shared in Carter's family. I have to admit, I often get wrapped up in the medical aspect of my assignments. However, caring for Carter has reminded me why I decided to join the field of nursing. So as we all continue to help Carter I wanted to take the time to thank Gary, Sarah, and Carter for helping me. I have been reminded of why I became a NICU nurse. I pray for Carter every day and will continue to do so. You guys are wonderful and Carter is an absolute joy to take care of!

My thoughts are with you all!

-Kaylene Fullington
NICU Nurse

 
At 10:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The love Carter must feel from his loving mommy and daddy!! I know he feels your touch, your tears, your smiles. My prayers are with you all. Lori C.

 
At 9:48:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know we are praying hard and know that Carter is in our Lord's hands and that He knows the whole picture. Be strong and know that I am praying for all of you.

THe Howlett Family

 
At 11:11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Sarah and Carter,

You are in our thoughts and prayers - we are lifting you up continually to our Father.....I am so sure that He is feeling everything Carter feels and is surrounding you with His love and peace.

We love you,
Jeanette and all the Mausolfs

 
At 1:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

after being incommunicado for 5 days, my first task this morning was to check on carter and his family. as i grow older, i realize "family" is so much more than family of origin.....god surrounds us with people to love us and hold us up when times are hard. as a parent, i cannot imagine anything harder than what you are going through.

when my parents were terribly ill, i often wondered, as hard as it was for us, how did those without faith and hope endure? without faith to know god was in control, regardless of the circumstances, how could you go on? i know my idea of the miraculous changed. i started to see and recognize unexpected miracles; comfort, peace, support, the right person at just the right time, the right words at just the right time.

as humans, our perspectives are so limited. i pray god gives you perfect peace, whatever today and tomorrow may bring. jane

 
At 2:34:00 PM, Blogger Bob Hughs said...

I have been praying heavily for the safety of little Carter. I will continue to think about your family and lift them up in prayer during this time of need. God Bless.

 
At 3:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys, we have you all in our prayers. Stay strong.

Jim & Norma Jean

 
At 6:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're still in my prayers...i love you guys

 
At 7:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, guys,

Know that I am still praying daily. You and sweet Carter are on my mind all the time. Prayers are whispered for Carter and for you both 24/7 not only from me, but from many. I love you guys and have truly grown to love your courageous little Carter. He is so sweet. I cherish the pictures!!

Love you all,
Linda S

 
At 8:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are thinking about you, and we are praying for you.

God please be with the Heckman family tonight.


Whitney and John

 
At 8:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and Gary,
I'm so sorry. I'll be in touch.
I love you,
Amy

 
At 8:25:00 PM, Blogger Monica said...

Sarah and Gary,
I am so sorry. I love you guys. I can't imagine your pain. Let us know if there is anything at all that we can do.
Monica

 
At 8:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Sarah, & Carter...
Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you (and your family/Grandma Ruth) and praying, praying, praying...
Amy LF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home