Monday, July 17, 2006

Broken Heart

I broke my heart. A few weeks ago, as I was attempting to latch the chain for my locket, I lost my hold. The locket fell to the floor, and in a way that only a true clutz could do, as I bent to look for it, I heard a crunch. I'd stepped right on my beautiful locket. My dearest reminder of my little boy lay flattened and broken.
So, I did what any girl with a broken heart would do--I took it to my Dad for him to fix. He has an uncanny ability to repair just about anything. As I handed him the locket, I had complete confidence that he could fix it. I left it with him for just a few short minutes. When he returned it to me, it was indeed "fixed"--it opened and closed as it had before!
My Dad had mended my broken heart. Sure, it was still a little flat and slightly scratched, but it was fixed. It would never again look shiny and new, but it worked. The locket now stays latched most of the time, and I can open it anytime to see that sweet face smiling back at me.
As I think of my locket, I am reminded of my Heavenly Father. Just like my Dad, He can fix my broken heart. He's the only one who can. And, just like my Dad, he longs for the moment when I let him help me. My Dad has never been one to need grand accolades; simply knowing he'd made it better was always enough. I know in all of this he must ache for his daughter, wanting desperately to take my pain away. God is like that, I know. Dad gave me a book called When God Doesn't Make Sense. I put it on the shelf that day and it has remained there ever since. I began reading it tonight.
So tonight I do that which my soul has longed to do for the past two months and my mind has resisted. I cry out to my Father--
Oh God, I am broken. My heart is crushed from the weight of this loss. It has been so long since I last saw my precious baby boy. Far too many days have passed since I touched his sweet face, held him in my arms, and felt his fingers wrapped around my own. My heart shattered into a million little pieces each time I walked away from him. That night as I left the hospital, then again at the funeral before they closed him in. More and more shards of my once whole heart fall each time I leave his grave. Fix it, God. Fix me. Put my heart back together again. I know it will never be shiny and new. I know it will be scratched and scarred forever, but please, God, let it open to love, to light, to life.
I do still believe in You, and I do still want You--still need You to comfort me. I don't understand, God. I don't know why it was my son, my little Carter, who had to die. It's so hard to imagine him now, and yet I believe he must be with You. He deserves every joy, every luxury, and every bit of love in the whole world. It's You, God, who can give that to him. I'm glad he's with You, it's the best place to be. But I miss him. So take good care of him. Spoil him, shower him with all the love in heaven. Teach him to mind his manners, to play fair, and to be a little gentleman. Let him play in the mud, splash in the puddles, and build great big blanket forts. Tell him his mommy and daddy love him much and will see him soon.
Thank You--for waiting patiently for me to come to You, for slowly working your way back into my life in ways I simply could not resist. I see You in the many friends who have shown so much love. I see You in Morgan, who said with 2-year-old simplicity that the face in the picture was Jesus, not baby Carter as our adult eyes see. And I see You in my moments of deepest desperation when, without even realizing, I cry out to You. And although I don't understand Your ways, I have to give my heart back to You--I cannot take the pain alone anymore. Amen.

10 Comments:

At 10:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your entries are always so touching. GOD BLESS YOU.

 
At 8:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so good to "hear" your voice Sarah! Your words brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart deeply. I think of you, Gary and Carter everyday. You are in my prayers! God Bless!

Sue T

 
At 12:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

god bless you both. you are in our thoughts and prayers always. may god give you healing peace and strength for the day.....

 
At 7:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah:
I love you. I know your heart is broken, and you're right, a broken heart can only be fixed by a Father. I'm so glad to see the love in your heart is back and seeking The One who has been waiting for you. He has not walked away, He has carried you!!!
I'm so glad to see you're writing again. Let's talk soon! I miss you.
Love,
Amy

 
At 12:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes a lot of strength and courage to open your heart and be completly open to God's love. Even with scratches, your heart is still open to the power of God's love. You have amazing faith, and that is something I look up to you for.
I love you.
- Kelsey

 
At 8:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that everyone in NICU at KU is still thinking about Carter and praying for your family. In fact, Carter's picture is the wallpaper on one of our computers. If you need anything, don't hesitate to call.

 
At 3:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A song goes "only God can mend a broken heart." How true that is. I pray every day that you and Gary will heal a little and learn to "live" again. I went out to the cemetery last week-end to visit my dad's and Carter's grave. His stone is so beautiful. That ladybug book will always be one of my favorites.
I'm so glad you have your dad to help you through these times--my dad did me, too, when my sorrow was to great to bear. What a blessing he must be to you!!! Think of you both so often.

God bless you both.

Linda S

 
At 5:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and Gary~

I just wanted to leave a note and tell you that I have been reading your messages all along...I just haven't yet known what to say. It was such a blessing having parents like you in our NICU--it was such a joy to care for your little angel. As I was reading today, it occurred to me that being touched by special children, like Carter, is what makes my career as a nurse worthwhile. I want to thank you for sharing his precious life with us. Take care.

All my love~
Becky

 
At 10:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,Wow you write so beautifully. We pray for you often and miss getting to see you frequently. God has been missing you too. I know that he will be there to help you and wish I could be too. I will be in prayers. Deedie

 
At 6:28:00 AM, Blogger Jim and Tricia Friddell said...

Sarah, I should know better than to read your blog while I'm at work in the morning. Tears just fall when I read your words, your prayer. Thank you for opening your heart for all of us to share. You and Gary are continually in my prayers. You are trusting the right source - God will heal your broken heart.
Love,
Tricia (Harris) Friddell

 

Post a Comment

<< Home