Wednesday, June 07, 2006

God Bless The Staff at KU Med

Everyone has been tremendously supportive throughout this time for Sarah and I. But I want to put the spotlight on the staff of KU Medical Center in this entry.
Everyone has stories to tell of their experiences at hospitals. We would like to let you know of the wonderful people we encountered during Carter's stay.
Several of the nurses in the NICU came up to Carter's visitation and funeral. It means so much to know that our son meant enough to them that they would want to be there. So many times during Carter's stay at KU, the nurses would come over just to see him or talk to us. Even the nurse who was in the operating room during his birth would come over from time to time. Many have given us phone numbers, e-mails etc. Wow! To all of them we say, thank you and God bless you. We received two cards from the staff today loaded with notes and comments from doctors and nurses. They talk of how Carter has touched them. They say how "wonderful" of parents we were. We just loved our boy and wanted to spend every moment we could with him. The nurses and doctors were the ones that worked so hard to bring him back to health. They were the ones who brought him back to life for us if even for a few more hours. Those hours were a gift that we are forever grateful for. Thank you. I want to also say thank you to Doctors Schropp, Raguveer, Clark, "Ola", and Cocjin. We know you worked very hard to make Carter well. I could see in each of your eyes that Carter held a special place with you. I wish I could name all of the nurses but there are so many, I'm afraid I would forget someone. So, again we say thank you. We WILL keep in touch.

8 Comments:

At 1:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that you had so many special people taking care of your son. I am inspired by your ability to look past your pain to see the blessings you have surrounding you.

 
At 8:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for being the loving parents you are. You are two wonderful people who really help me see what true faith is about. Thank you so much for the doughnuts they were a nice suprise this morning. It was great to see Sarah this morning its wonderful to see just a beautiful face that early in the morning. Thanks for everything you have done for our staff you are in all of our thoughts and prayers. Please keep in touch. thanks

Love in Christ,
Amanda

 
At 11:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. As men, we have a hard time sharing our feelings and opening ourselves up to others when we need support. Your son was an amazing little boy and we are all better because of him and you both. Continue to share your side of the story - I'm sure other dads are as inspired by you as I am.

 
At 5:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too want to say how fantastic the staff of KU Med were to the whole family. I'm sure we weren't the usual group. We were there in mass quite often. Yet you always made an effort to not make us feel like we weren't in the way and always treated us with kindness and consideration.

I treasure the time I got to spend with my grandson. I got to hear his first chuckle while he was in the hospital and the time that I spent rocking him while singing and talking to him will forever be special memories for me.

Especially precious was the time with both Carter and Sarah. Thank you to you all for giving me that gift.

Ruth

 
At 6:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah and Gary,
We love you both so much and it was such a great start to the morning on Thursday to see you in the NICU. Thank you again for the yummy doughnuts!! You are a true friend to the NICU and we all hope to keep the relationship going to keep the joys of Carter alive! You both inspire me everyday--and I thank you for that!

Kim Burrier (NICU)

 
At 9:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the doughnuts, it was so thoughtful of you! I appreciate all you have done for me, you have given me a new lease on life. I admire you both for your strength. Please keep in touch, you hold a very special place in our hearts at the KU NICU.

Love,
Kaylene Fullington

 
At 2:31:00 AM, Blogger Lynley said...

Sarah and Gary,
I received the URL for Carter's page from one of the NICU nurses. I used to work the door on the unit sometimes and when I saw the pictures I remembered you guys. I just read the entire blog...
THANK YOU for being so brave! Thank you for sharing your heart and spirit with honesty. It's a hard reality to read about a patient's journey from the family's side. To hear the hurt and frustration of being rushed through a bath for example. Medicine is never a job and I pray that in ANY moment it becomes a job for me (I just moved to start residency) the pictures of your sweet family will flood my mind and I will be reminded of responsibility I have to my patients and their families.
Your faith has been amazing and I dropped to my knees and prayed that God hold you close in this terrible time, even if you don't want to be close. I pray that you will someday find the blessing and be comforted with all Carter's life has done for the Kingdom. My cousin lost a 2-yr-old boy and I can tell you that God will heal you. I wish I could tell you when. I wish you continued love and prayers! Your story is powerful and Carter has touched many lives... and will continue to do so.

 
At 2:32:00 AM, Blogger Lynley said...

Sarah and Gary,
I received the URL for Carter's page from one of the NICU nurses. I used to work the door on the unit sometimes and when I saw the pictures I remembered you guys. I just read the entire blog...
THANK YOU for being so brave! Thank you for sharing your heart and spirit with honesty. It's a hard reality to read about a patient's journey from the family's side. To hear the hurt and frustration of being rushed through a bath for example. Medicine is never a job and I pray that in ANY moment it becomes a job for me (I just moved to start residency) the pictures of your sweet family will flood my mind and I will be reminded of responsibility I have to my patients and their families.
Your faith has been amazing and I dropped to my knees and prayed that God hold you close in this terrible time, even if you don't want to be close. I pray that you will someday find the blessing and be comforted with all Carter's life has done for the Kingdom. My cousin lost a 2-yr-old boy and I can tell you that God will heal you. I wish I could tell you when. I wish you continued love and prayers! Your story is powerful and Carter has touched many lives... and will continue to do so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home