Friday, October 06, 2006

People Hurt for a Reason

I was watching TV thursday night and my wife's favorite show came on "Grey's Anatomy". I'm not a fan of the show but if you are, you might recognize familiar coined phrases and names such as "Dr. McDreamy". I watched reluctantly as I was caught entranced by the story of a little girl in the show. She had a condition where she could not physically feel pain. At first the doctor's did not know what was wrong because she had multiple cuts and bruises. After testing her pain threshold it was apparent that she could not feel pain. Therefore she continued to get injured without calling attention to herself. The doctor discovered she was bleeding internally from multiple injuries. The little girl did not want to go into surgery. She felt no pain so she did not see the need for it. While in surgery, one of the doctors said "there's a reason people feel pain". That struck me the instant I heard it. I think sometimes I intentionally supress what I am truly feeling in order to not feel pain. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean something isn't wrong. Something is wrong. I should have a son here with me now. But I don't. I think we have to let ourselves hurt in order to know something is wrong and that we need help. Just like the little girl in the show, I have to give in to those who want to help me even if my feelings are now suppressed so that I can get better.

5 Comments:

At 5:37:00 PM, Blogger Kerry's Blog said...

You guys just seem like such beautiful people, God bless you in Jesus' name!! My heart breaks concerning my divorce and the amount of time I spend with my children! But nothing compared to your loss!

Be unbelievably blessed in the future with your son looking down from heaven and thanking God for such wonderful parents who adore him!!!!!!!!

KERRY

 
At 7:15:00 AM, Blogger Monica said...

Gary,
I think you are right. It sounds like you have come to an important realization. Please know that there are many people who care about you guys and are ready to help you in any way we can as you deal with the pain of your loss. At the very least, know that you are remembered in our prayers.

 
At 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

Gary & Sara -

Last weekend was the American Liver Foundation's walk here in KC. There was a group of us who walked to raise awareness of liver disease in children. During our walk, I couldn't help but think of Carter. I hope that the research funds we helped raise will go towards a cure for Biliary Atresia.

Although we never meant in person, I feel like we've walked the same road to an extent. Your faith astounds me. There will be another liver walk next year - we'd be honored if you'd join us.

 
At 1:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good thing about pain is that there's always a friend to help ease it. You're still in my prayers. I love you Sarah!!

 
At 10:28:00 AM, Blogger Trisha Vassmer said...

I watched this episode as well, and I actually looked at your site the day that you posted this, but I couldn't remember my username on here to leave a comment! Lol. I hope that you guys are doing well, and I completely agree with everything that was said in this blog. People DO hurt for a reason and it's ok... It's not just going to go away and keeping it all bottled up inside isn't helping matters either.. Just know that we are all thinking about you here and pretty much will never forget the impact you have made on our lives. I idolize you! Love, ME!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home