Thursday, December 07, 2006

Ian's Story

Through surfing the internet, I discovered a boy named Ian Herbst. He is about a year and a half old and was diagnosed with biliary atresia. As most of you know, that is the disease Carter was diagnosed with. Doctors have recommended a liver transplant to save his life. As Sarah and I have found, this is a very expensive procedure. It is estimated at $100,000. They are very close to their goal with the help of many wonderfully generous people. We contacted the person in charge of his fundraising campaign with an idea. A couple of months ago, we had bracelets made with Carter's name on them so we might have a constant reminder of our beloved son. We also gave them to our family and in the process some friends have requested them. We are going to make these available to anyone who wants one. If you would like to make a donation for the bracelet, all of the money will go to help Ian get his transplant. This is a great way to celebrate Carter's life and in the process, give to another to preserve a precious life. As you know, there are many internet scams out there and one has to be careful. I encourage you to go the site yourself to read Ian's story and investigate it if you are unsure. www.ianfund.com If you find yourself inclined to help, you can let us know through posting comments, e-mailing us, or calling. Below is a picture of the bracelet.

4 Comments:

At 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Monica said...

Next time I see you, I need to give you money for the bracelet. Great idea guys.

 
At 12:36:00 PM, Blogger jennifer mueller said...

Hey guys! Send some Carter bracelets to KU Med NICU--we would love to wear them and donate money! You are both such extraordinary people. Through your pain, you still reach out and help others in need. I am very touched by your efforts to help this little boy.

 
At 8:19:00 AM, Blogger Trisha Vassmer said...

ok so, I just called Moriah at work and read her this blog and I am pretty much guaranteeing that we will be wanting to get one of these bracelets. I think that it is such a great way to raise money for your friends and well, I am amazed by you two. Even throughout eveything that you have had to endure, you are keeping your head high and STILL finding ways for Carter to help others. I look up to you guys in more ways that you can imagine and if there is ever a time in my life when I think that I am just going to give up on something, I am going to think of you and remember that you didn't. I love you guys so much. I am really glad that I have gotten to see you at Target and I hope that I will be seeing you again soon! <3 Trisha

 
At 3:39:00 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Gary and Sarah,

We know Faith and Dustin from Sunday School. Faith mentioned your efforts to help Ian. I went to Ian's website and noted that the organization for fundraising is COTA. I am familiar with them because my cousin (well, okay, specifically my cousin's grandson - I'm so old!) had a liver, pancreas and small bowel transplant two years ago this Sunday. As I understand it, COTA is a very professional and above board organization. Here is Tyler's page with COTA http://www.kintera.org/FAF/home/default.asp?ievent=74873 I hope that works anyway. Here is the other page http://www2.caringbridge.org/ky/tylermiracle/
Tyler had a difficult road, but is now a rambunctious, Thomas the Tank Engine loving three year-old. His parents never fail to give thanks for his life nor do they fail to offer prayers to the donor's family. I hope Ian's story has an equally happy ending.

I hope that helping another family benefits you guys as well as Ian and his family. I will check with Faith about getting a bracelet if that will be easier. :-)

Take care of each other,

Jill and Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home