Friday, March 16, 2007

Carter would have turned one year old last Friday. It was a special day for Gary and me, as we spent some time at the cemetery in the morning (Carter was born at 9:43 a.m.), then took some time to be together in the afternoon. Friday night, our families came over to honor Carter. We had cake and punch, looked at photos, and watched the video of Carter. Although my heart longed to be laughing and celebrating as we watched our little boy open gifts and tear into his first cake, having our families with us and remembering our sweet Carter made the day complete.
This is, of course, not how I would have liked to spend the day, or the last 10 months. I miss him terribly, and the ache in my soul is still present and strong. There are moments when I realize that I've not cried in days, and I think to myself I might be starting to heal. Then there are moments when my sobs return uncontrollably. Sometimes I almost think I can feel his soft cheek or hear his gentle coos. Some nights I cradle the air in my arms and imagine my Carter nestled peacefully instead. But Friday was not one of those days, and the reason was simple.
God is amazing. Even after months of my cold shoulder, he is still reaching out through the love of others to make his presence known to me. God, knowing how much we would need him on Carter's birthday, sent a vision to an earthly angel. Kathy Parker, a member of the Liberty First Christian Church, decided to hold a 24 hour prayer vigil for our family from midnight-midnight on March 9. Friends and church members, many of whom I do not know, signed up for 30 minute time slots to pray for peace and comfort on a day that could otherwise have been filled with grief and sadness. So, to Kathy and her husband, Keith, and to the nearly 50 other friends and strangers who lifted up faithful prayers for us, THANK YOU. From the bottom of our hearts--we felt the peace and loving arms of our Father holding us up on that day. We know, too, that many others thought of us that day. God has certainly surrounded us with love and support.
p.s.--please continue to check Landon's site, www.caringbridge.org/visit/landondody and pray for him and his family. He has taken a bad turn, and although the words written by his parents sound so very familiar, we must all pray for his healing. Thanks!
p.p.s.--We recently learned that we are once again expecting!! Carter will be a big brother sometime around the end of October! This is both exciting and terrifying, as we know there could be genetic complications. Please pray for a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy. My heart seems to be struggling a bit, and I've already been in the hospital once. My doctors are the best, though, and we are believing that all will be well.

6 Comments:

At 6:29:00 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Sarah, I think I can speak for those of us who prayed for you on Carter's birthday and say that it lifted us up as much as it did for you. The 1/2 hour that I spent praying was the most peaceful time I've had in a long time. May God bless you, Gary, Carter, and your new baby. Faith and Dustin always tell us of your amazing faith. You inspire all of us to keep believing in God's faithfulness and grace.
Kathy Parker

 
At 7:47:00 AM, Blogger Trisha Vassmer said...

Congratulations on your new baby guys! I am so happy for you. I will keep you ALL in my thoughts and prayers and I am sure that there will be many others doing so as well... We all love you very much and you have changed many of us for the better. I know you have done that to me! You have become extremely good role models and the way that you handled things amazed me... I am sure that I will see you soon in Target... Lots of love, Trisha

 
At 6:28:00 AM, Blogger Darby said...

sarah and gary--we don't know one another, i found your site through landon dody's caring bridge site and i was inspired by your story. congratulations on this baby and i'm hoping that you will be able to share this miraculous journey as you shared the miracle life of carter with so many. i look forward to reading your updates and i believe that carter will be a very special big brother! take care of yourselves and again, congratulations from kansas!

 
At 8:08:00 PM, Blogger Heather May said...

I found your blog via Jamie McNeel (formerly Bouse).. I knew Sarah from high school (me, formally, Heather Bonar)...

I was truely touched by your blog. It sounds like Carter was an amazing little boy.

Reading your blog makes me realize I need to cherish every moment with my boys, (I did already remind myself of that very frequentlY). Thank you for publishing the raw emotions that you were feeling. They were priceless to experience.

Congratulations on the new baby to come. It is a wonderful thing for your family.

 
At 8:32:00 AM, Blogger Chasity said...

I was just thinking to myself last night that sometimes I have a hard time connecting with my son. Keegan, who is now turning 10, was born with gastroschisis. I did everything right, even avoiding caffeinated tea. I blamed myself for a long time, and when the doctors told me it was time for me to call my priest and pray my heart went into survival mode. I don't think to this day, I've been able to come out of it either.

Memories of those grave first couple of years came rushing back to me as if it were yesterday. I can't begin to say I know how you feel, because I have my son. I want to thank you... you have reminded me of how very precious my little boy is to me and how different my life could be. My heart aches for you.

I can't say I always understand God's plan, but you are my angel today. Thank you.

 
At 5:08:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog by chance...or perhaps it was fate for me to hear your story. I have my own beloved Carter in my life. He was my father, Edward Arnold Carter. He passed away on April 24, 1998 at the age of 51. I was only 15 and my brother was 5 at the time. I know the situation and circumstances are different, but I feel like our pain is shared. I've sat here reading your posts all the way back to your very first post about little Carter. And my heart is broken...my father has been gone for almost ten long years and the pain doesn't go away...not when you love someone as much as we loved our own special Carter's. You had a beautiful, precious little boy that will always love you and always be with you. Both of you sound like you will be wonderful parents to your new baby and he/she will have an excellent big brother in heaven looking out for them. It's true that you have to live your life day to day and just trust that one day you will be reunited with your precious angel. Your love will NEVER die and that's what is the most important thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home